Sonntag, 21. April 2013

The ring snake


While I’m writing this entry here’s it’s still snowy and cold outside. Actually I wanted to go out to the pond but the cold snap ruined my plans. I wanted to watch my ring snakes because I miss them so hard! *Sigh* that cold April weather depresses me. But enough mourning, I will feed you with my ring snakes pictures of last year. There’s even a self-made video under the cut. And of course you can read about a “bone part” too!

Ring snakes (Natrix natrix) are nonpoisonous snakes which you can find in the near of waters. That could be ponds, marshes and lakes which have enough hideouts and warm sunny places. These snakes are excellent swimmers and divers and they love to eat amphibians. Baby ring snakes likes to eat pollywogs, because of their handy size. Ring snakes are (as every snake in Switzerland) protected!
In the bathing season some ring snakes put the cat among the pigeons and rouses the people xD Poor snakes, they are more afraid of us than in the other way.


After a small fight the snake came straight in my direction with the newt in its mouth. It ate the poor newt in front of my feet! Lucky event – at least for me. Poor newt, it had my compassion. After the snake finished its meal it wiggled away without panic. Unbelievable…



Sorry about the noise, there was a building lot next to the pond.

Female ring snakes can grow very large, about 140cm! Males are a bit smaller, about 90cm. Fresh hatched babies, which are so cute, are about 14-22cm long. Dawww <3

Cute little baby ring snake, about 20cm long <3
A dead ring snakes hurts my heart each time. This little fella laid dead in the pond. I don’t know the cause of death. I decided to remove it with a stick and put it down on a little earth wall. I totally forgot about the dead snake and after two weeks I found it again. It was half part mummy and half part skeleton. I took it with me.

Remains of a baby ring snake.
Ring snakes shed their skin like every snake does. My friend found this little frazzle in a thornbush. I think it is of a young ring snake.


Ring snakes shed their skin like every snake does. My friend found this little frazzle in a thornbush. I think it is of a young ring snake.

Augh, I hope we get warm weather soon, especially on my free days! Oh, I so hope to see many ring snakes this year. Wish me luck!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen